Thursday 21 September 2017

Reflection on Geometry

As I take a look back at what we've covered so far for Geometry, and the types of hands-on activities we've been able to experience, I feel a sense of accomplishment. My goal was to try and 'create' more experiences involving movement and materials that would help imbed knowledge into learners so they would remember it further down the track. My gut feeling, based on observations and the learning conversations I've had with students , is that this has been achieved. We've still got our post test to do and mark next week, so keep an eye out for the results coming soon.

BUT...

There is a BUT to this. As I reflect and think about my 'where to next' steps, I realise, strand only makes up a small part of where students need to be at in terms of National Standards by the end of the year.

So how can I transfer these kinds of experiences, to teaching number, strategies, ratios and proportions?

I've got a plan forming in my head, after talking with members of our team, involving making punch to help with ratios. Will keep you posted on how this pans out. But for now if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear about them please.

No comments:

Post a Comment